Training, Experience, & Research
Dermatology and Skin Cancer Consultants, PLLC, Humboldt TN
Medical Director, 8/2011- Present
The Jackson Clinic P.A., Jackson TN
Dermatology and Mohs Micrographic Surgery, 8/2008-8/2011
University of California, Los Angeles
Mohs Micrographic Surgery & Procedural Dermatology Fellow, 2007-2008
- Trained in Mohs micrographic surgery, surgical reconstruction, lasers, and various cosmetic
procedures including botox, fillers, peels and sclerotherapy
Dermatology Residency, 2004-2007
- Chief Resident, 2006-2007
- UCLA Health Care STAR Recognition Award, 2006
White Memorial Medical Center, Los Angeles
Internal Medicine Internship, 2003-2004
David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Los Angeles
- UCLA SOM Deans Scholar, 1998-2003
- Edith and Carl Lasky Memorial Award for Excellence in Research, 2003
- American Dermatological Association Student Research Fellowship Recipient, 2002
- National Hispanic Medical Association NIH/Student Initiative Fellow, 2002
- The Minority Trainee Research Forum National Abstract Competition Winner, 2002
- UCLA SOM Latino Medical Student Association Service Award, 2001
- UCLA SOM, Letter of Distinction- Foundations in Clinical Medicine, 2000
University of California, Los Angeles
B.S. Physiological Sciences, 1997
- UCLA Chancellors Service Award, 1997
- Golden Key National Honor Society Lifetime Member, 1994
OTHER HONORS & AWARDS
- Best of the Best Dermatology Clinic –Dermatology and Skin Cancer Consultants, PLLC, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
- Best of the Best Dermatologist—Humboldt TN, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2020
- Who’s Who in Medicine and Healthcare, 2011-2012
- Consumer’s Research Council of America, America’s Top Dermatologists, 2010, 2011
- The President of the United States Volunteer Service Award, 2009
- Members Making a Difference Award, American Academy of Dermatology, 2008
- Leadership Circle for Volunteerism, American Academy of Dermatology, 2008
- 21st World Congress of Dermatology Scholarship Recipient, 2007
- Chilean Society of Dermatology and Venereology Scholarship Recipient, 2007
- Skin Disease Education Foundation Education Award Recipient, 2007
- American Society for Dermatologic Surgery Annual Meeting Scholarship Recipient, 2006
- ASDS Dermatologic Surgery Preceptorship Award Recipient, 2006
- Women’s Dermatologic Society Renewal Retreat Resident Scholarship Recipient, 2006
- Hispanic Scholarship Fund Recipient, 2000 & 2001
- UCLA SOM Representative for AMSA National Leadership Training Program, 1999
- Latino Medical Student Association MCAT Scholarship Recipient, 1997
Diplomate, American Board of Dermatology, 2007
- A Phase 3b Multicenter, Randomized, Double-Blind, Double-Dummy, Active Controlled Study Comparing the Safety and Efficacy of Upadacitinib to Dupilumab in Adult Subjects with Moderate to Severe Atopic Dermatitis, AbbVie, M16-046, Principal Investigator
- A Multi-Center, Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo- and Active Comparator-Controlled Phase 3 Study with Randomized Withdrawal and Retreatment to Evaluate the Efficacy and Safety of BMS-986165 in Subjects with Moderate-to-Severe Plaque Psoriasis, Bristol-Myers Squibb, IM011047, Principal Investigator
- An Open-Label, Multi-Center Extension Study to Characterize the Long-Term Safety and Efficacy of BMS-986165 in Subjects with Moderate-to-Severe Plaque Psoriasis, BristolMyers Squibb, IM011075, Principal Investigator
- A Phase 2A, Multicenter, Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled, 16-Week Study Evaluating the Safety and Efficacy of PF-06650833, PF-06700841, and PF06826647 in Adults with Moderate to Severe Hidradenitis Suppurativa, Pfizer, C2501007, Principal Investigator
- A Phase II, Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Study of Bermekimab in Patients with Moderate to Severe Atopic Dermatitis, XBiotech, 2019-PT046, Principal Investigator
- A Phase II, Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Study of Bermekimab in Patients with Moderate to Severe Hidradenitis Suppurativa, XBiotech, 2019-PT047, Principal Investigator
- A Phase 3 Randomized, Placebo-Controlled, Double-Blind Study to Evaluate Upadacitinib in Adolescent and Adult Subjects with Moderate to Severe Atopic Dermatitis. Abbvie Inc, M18-891. Principal Investigator
- A Phase II, Randomized, Double-Blind, Vehicle Controlled Study of the Efficacy, Safety, and Tolerability of B244 Topical Spray for the Treatment of Pruritus in Adults with a History of Atopic Dermatitis. AOBiome Therapeutics, PRB244-01. Principal Investigator
- A Phase 2A, Multicenter, Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled, 16-Week Study Evaluating the Safety and Efficacy of PF-06650833, PF-06700841, and PF06826647 in Adults with Moderate to Severe Hidradenitis Suppurativa. Pfizer, C2501007. Principal Investigator
- A Phase 2, Multicenter, Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled, Parallel-Group Study to Evaluate Efficacy, Safety, and Tolerability of MT-7117 in Subjects with Diffuse Cutaneous Systemic Sclerosis. Mitsubishi Tanabe Pharma, MT-7117-G02. Principal Investigator
UCLA Department of Internal Medicine Division of Dermatology, Michael S. Kolodney, M.D., Ph.D. Medical Student Research Scholar, 2001-2003
- Investigated potential mechanisms by which RhoGTPases stimulate melanoma cell metastasis
UCLA Department of Family Medicine and Center for the Study of Latino Health and Culture, Michael Wada, M.D., M.P.H., David Hayes-Bautista, Ph.D.
- Needs assessment research to determine barriers in obtaining health care services for the medically underserved community of Central City Garment District and Pico Union
- Grossberg A., Carranza D., Chiu M., Lee C, Craft N. Dermatologic Care in Homeless and Underserved Populations: Observations from the Venice Family Clinic. Cutis 2012; 89:25-32.
- Custis T, Beynet D, Carranza D, Greco J, Lask GP, Kim J. Treatment of Melomental Fold Rhytides with Hylacross Hyaluronic Acid Combined with Botulinum Toxin A Compared with Hylacross Hyaluronic Acid Alone. Dermatologic Surgery. 2010 Nov;36 Suppl 3:1852-8.
- Ke M., Moul D., Camouse M., Avram M., Carranza D., Soriano T., Lask G. Where Is It? The Utility of Biopsy-Site Photography. Dermatologic Surgery. 2010;36:198-202.
- Carranza D., Young L. Successful Treatment of Metastatic Chron’s Disease with Cyclosporine. J Drugs Dermatol, 2008 Aug;7(8):789-91.
- Carranza D., Chiu M., Haley J. Facial Porokeratosis. SKINMed 2008 Jan-Feb;7(1):51-52.
- Soriano T., Beynet D., Carranza D. Laser Hair Removaln in Darker Racial Ethnic Groups, in Grimes PE et al. Aesthetics and Cosmetic Surgery for Darker Skin Types, Philadelphia: Lippincott;2008:303-309.
- Carranza D. Warts:New Solutions to an Old Problem. The Dermatology Report Summer 2007;1(1):26-29.
- Iyer S., Carranza D., Kolodney M., Macgregor D., Chipps L., Soriano T. Evaluation of Procollagen I Deposition After Intense Pulsed Light Treatments at Varying Parameters in a Porcine Model. Journal of Cosmetic Laser Therapy 2007 Jun;9(2):75-8.
- Collison E.A., Carranza D., Chen I.Y., Kolodney M.S. Isoprenylation is Necessary for the Full Invasive Potential of RhoA Over Expression in Human Melanoma Cells. Journal of Investigative Dermatology 2002 Nov;119(5):1172-6.
- Davis K., Carranza D., Cotliar J., Soriano T. Clinical Improvement of Cutaneous Sarcoidosis with Intralesional 5-Flourouracil. Journal of American Academy of Dermatology. Submitted for publication.
LECTURES & PRESENTATIONS
- Mohs Surgery Indications and Contraindications. Jackson-Madison County General Hospital
Update in Dermatology for the General Practitioner. Jackson, Tennessee. March 2012.
- The Most Common Cancer. Jackson-Madison County General Hospital Grand Rounds. Jackson,
Tennessee. May 2009.
- Diagnosis and Treatment Options for Papillomata Seen in Costello Syndrome. American
Academy of Dermatology Annual Meeting. San Antonio, Texas. February 2008.
- Fractional Photothermolysis For Melasma In Women with Skin Types IV-VI. 21st World Congress of
Dermatology. Buenos Aires, Argentina. October 2007.
- Where Is It? The Utility of Biopsy-Site Photography. American Society for Dermatologic Surgery
Annual Meeting. Chicago, IL. October 2007.
- Multiple Hereditary Glomangiomas. California Society of Dermatology and Dermatologic Surgery
Annual Meeting. Monterey, CA. September 2007; The LA Metropolitan Dermatological Society
University Meeting. Los Angeles, CA. May 2007.
- Introduction to Dermatology. UCLA School of Dentistry. Los Angeles, CA. April 2007.
- Vulvar Neoplasms. UCLA Dermatology Grand Rounds. Los Angeles, CA. February 2007.
- Facial Porokeratosis. American Academy of Dermatology Annual Meeting. Washington, D.C.
February 2007; California Society of Dermatology and Dermatologic Surgery Annual Meeting.
San Diego, CA. September 2006.
- Langerhans Cell Histiocytosis. American Academy of Dermatology Annual Meeting.
Washington, D.C February 2007.
- Autologous Platelet Concentrate in Granulating Defects of the Lower Extremities Following Mohs
Micrographic Surgery. American Academy of Dermatology Annual Meeting. Washington, D.C.
February 2007; ACMMSCO Annual Meeting. Scottsdale, AZ. April 2006.
- Acute Hemorrhagic Edema of Infancy and Disseminated MAC Infection. American Academy of
Dermatology Annual Meeting. San Francisco, CA. March 2006.
- Costello Syndrome. The Los Angeles Metropolitan Dermatological Society University Meeting.
Los Angeles, CA. February 2006.
- Primary Cicatricial Alopecias. UCLA Dermatology Grand Rounds. LA, CA. September 2005.
- Acute Hemorrhagic Edema of Infancy. Pacific Dermatologic Association Annual Meeting.
Vancouver, BC, Canada. August 2005.
- Parasitic Infections in Dermatology. UCLA Dermatology Grand Rounds. LA, CA. May 2005.
- Diffuse Epidermolytic Palmoplantar Keratoderma. The Los Angeles Metropolitan
Dermatological Society University Meeting. Los Angeles, CA. November 2004.
- Signaling Through Rho GTPases Mediates Spongiotic Change. The Society for Investigative
Dermatology. Los Angeles, CA. May 2002.
- A Comparison of RhoA and RhoC on the Melanoma Cell Cytoskeleton. The Minority Trainee
Research Forum. San Diego, CA. March 2002.
- The Effect of RhoA on the Melanoma Cell Cytoskeleton. Mt. Sinai School of Medicine Advances
in Medical and Surgical Dermatology Symposium. New York, NY. December 2001.
- Treatment of Stevens-Johnson Syndrome with IV IgG. The Los Angeles Metropolitan
Dermatological Society University Meeting. Los Angeles, CA. October 2001.
- The University of Tennessee Health Science Center, Family Medicine
Clinical Assistant Professor, 7/2016- Present
- University of California, Los Angeles Department of Medicine, Division of Dermatology
Clinical Instructor, 2007-2008
- UCSD SOM Hugh Greenway’s 24th Annual Superficial Anatomy & Cutaneous Surgery Course
Anatomy Lab Instructor, 2007
- UCLA SOM Problem Based Learning Dermatology Module
Instructor, 2005 & 2006
- UCLA SOM Primary Care College Foundations Week
- UCLA SOM Reapplicant Program.
Teaching Assistant, 2002-2003
- California State University, Los Angeles Health Careers Opportunity Program
- National Hispanic Youth Initiative in Health, Biochemical Research and Policy Development
Student Advisor, 1999
- UCLA SOM Prime/Prologue to Medical School Program
Teaching Assistant, 1999
- UCLA SOM Partnership for Progress,
- UCLA Student Health Advocates
- UCLA SOM High School Prep Advisory Committee, Member, 2001-2003
- UCLA Chicano/Latino Medical Student Association, MCAT Scholarship Chair, 2000-2001
- UCLA SOM Admissions Committee, Medical Student Representative, 1999-2004
- UCLA 6th Annual Talent Show & Canned Food Drive, Fundraising Committee Member, 1999
- UCLA Chicano/Latino Medical Student Association, Statewide Representative, 1998-2000
- UCLA CMSA Hurricane Mitch Relief Fund, Fundraising Committee Member, 1998
- UCLA Unicamp; Member of Board of Directors, Program Committee Chair, 1994-1997
- The California Wellness Foundation, Increasing Diversity in the Health Care Professions
Conference Speaker, May 2007
- The International Society of Cosmetic and Laser Surgeons, Inc Masters Series Workshop in Cosmetic & Laser Surgery
Patient Demonstrations Coordinator, August 2006
- UCLA Latino Medical Student Association, 17th Annual Conference/Graduation Ceremony
Coordinator, April 2001
- UCLA Latino Medical Student Association/Student National Medical Association Premedical Student Conference
Coordinator, February 1999
- West Tennessee Health Care Melanoma Monday
- Women’s Dermatologic Society Families Play Safe in the Sun Campaign
Volunteer, October 2005
- Venice Free Clinic
Dermatology Clinic Chief , 2004-Present
- Children’s Skin Disease Foundation, Camp Wonder
Medical Staff , 2002-2007
- UCLA SOM Whole Foods Market Fair
Volunteer, May 2000
- UCLA SOM SNMA Project Santa Claus
- Charles R. Drew University of Health Science UMMA Free Clinic
- UCLA SOM CMSA Lennox Health Fair
- Camp Laurel for Children with HIV
Head Counselor 1995-1997
American Academy of Dermatology
American College of Mohs Surgery
Tennessee Dermatology Society
American Society for Dermatologic Surgery
Women’s Dermatologic Society
National Hispanic Medical Association
UCLA Medical Alumni Association
National Association of Professional Women
Humboldt TN Chamber of Commerce
Jackson TN Chamber of Commerce